I know that the "handyman" and the "handywoman" who follow me enjoy each stage of the process, when they are motivated to work from scratch on small remodeling in different areas of the home. The best part is when you sit down to enjoy the renovated space once you get the expected result. But for this, every step of the project must be taken care of, from its planning, selection of materials and correct application. For example, when it comes to building a block wall, plastering a wall, or doing any minor construction project at home, it is crucial to use the right products to achieve the desired result.
The mixer is the main ally of the DIY contractor or homeowner (“do-it-yourself”), who likes to do things himself, since it allows to complete all plastering, masonry and general construction projects in a simple and trustworthy. Among the brands on the market, my favorite is the original, the Weco W-350 Mixer. It is a dry mortar formulated with Type I Portland cement, refined sands, fibers and additives that make it a product with high resistance to compression and controlled quality. Plus, the product comes ready to use in 50-pound bags or 10-pound bags, just by mixing with water.
What attributes make Weco's W-350 Mixer the best on the market
Better finish and manageability: Its formulation incorporates fibers and additives that minimize fissures and cracks.
Greater compressive strength: It is the only formula on the market that meets the standards of the American Society of Testing Materials ASTM C-270 Type N, S and M simultaneously, which allows to tie, install blocks and carry out general construction projects simultaneously, with the same product. Therefore, its formulation meets the structural requirements for construction.
Better consistency and granulometry: The use of fine marble sands in its formulation achieves a finer, more uniform finish that is smooth to the touch.
When you use the Mixer W-350 observe the following procedure:
- Before using the Mixer W-350 it is important that the surface is clean, well adhered and free of dust, grease, wax, oil, fungus, paint, efflorescence or other contaminants.
- In a clean container, add 1 to 1.5 gallons (4 - 6 liters) of clean water for each 50-pound bag.
- Add Mixer W-350 to clean water and mix slowly with a stirrer. Note: If you need more water, add a small amount and continue mixing until you achieve the desired consistency. Do not exceed a volume of 1.5 gallons (6 liters) of water per 50 pound bag.
- If your project is to tie up a wall, apply Weco's W-130 Rough Bond Yellow Concrete Adhesive to the surface, which will help promote the adhesion of the mix to the existing concrete surface.
- Once the adhesive is dry, apply Mixer W-350 according to conventional masonry methods, approximately 1/2 "thick.
- Wait for it to have a hard consistency, but not totally dry, so that it can be finished with the rubber or sponge float using circular movements.
Weco's W350 Mixer is the only one on the market that meets all the standards for packing, installing blocks and building reliably and with guaranteed quality backing. You can get the W350 Mixer and other Weco Professional System products at any of the A.O.R. Building Supplies in Santurce, Maderera Donesteves in Carolina, Ferretería La Mina in Naguabo, Builder Supply in Bayamón, Home Decor Plaza in Humacao, National Lumber Hardware, Ace Hardware stores in Puerto Rico, D 'Here Hardware stores, and in the main hardware stores in your community . For more information, go to www.wecopr.com, facebook.com/wecopr or call 787-739-3751.
Engineer Carly Carrión is a remodeling specialist, founding partner of Black & White Diversified, One-Studio and a Weco contributor. For more ideas, go to www.preguntaleacarly.com, search on Facebook: remodelacionescarly or call 787-234-3777.