We are at that time of year where we renovate our homes, and paint is still the most widely used finish for walls and ceilings. However, architects and designers are constantly searching for innovative materials to set trends.
Weco recently launched the W180 Plaster Finish ™ on the market, a dry mortar that produces a thin layer that emulates polished cement or exposed concrete, allowing experimentation with different textures and colors, and breaking with the uniformity of the same color throughout and width of the treated surface. W180 Plaster Finish ™ is the product of a careful selection of very fine aggregates, cement, polymers and chemical additives, and is ready to mix with water to produce a mix that is easy to handle and apply. It can be applied at thicknesses as thin as a coat of paint, allowing it to also be used to heal imperfections in old coats of paint, leaving the surface ready for repainting. Due to its high adhesion, it can be durably applied to painted surfaces, concrete, fiber cement panels, wood, and other surfaces. The final color of the finished surface is the light gray color of cement, and after 28 days it achieves a compressive strength of over 4,000 psi (pounds per square inch).
Preparing and applying W180 Plaster Finish ™ is extremely simple, and here is how I show you:
- In a clean container, add 1 ¼ gallons of clean water.
- Add the contents of the W180 Plaster Finish™ pan (35lbs of dry material) to the water to achieve normal product consistency.
- Slowly mix the product with a variable speed drill. For best results use the Cortag® HM-140 electric mixer, at a maximum speed of 600 RPM, for 4 minutes.
- Make sure the application surface is clean and free of dust and other contaminants that could affect the adhesion of the product.
- Apply the product directly to the surface with a metal trowel at a thickness no greater than ¼”.
- Try to give the desired final finish, making circular movements, using a damp sponge or a rubber float. Drying time may vary depending on the thicknesses installed and the air and temperature conditions.
- To preserve the cleanliness of the treated surface, it is highly recommended to use a sealer that highlights the color. For this, I recommend Miracle Sealants® 511 Seal and Enhance Sealant.
You can get the W-180 Plaster Finish™, the Cortag® HM-140 electric mixer, the 511 Seal and Enhance Miracle® sealer, and other Weco® Professional System products at Interior Systems in Ponce, Maderas 3C / DecoCentro in San Juan, Cabo Rojo Lumber Yard, Ferretería Dunas in San Juan, Ferretería Oronoz Hermanos in San Sebastián, in any of the Ace Hardware Stores in Puerto Rico, True Value Hardware Stores in Puerto Rico, and other hardware stores in your community.
Engineer Julian Motta is a business development manager and mortar and mortar specialist for Weco. To learn more about this and other topics related to the construction industry go to www.wecopr.com, facebook.com/wecopr or call 787-739-3751.